El Toucanet Lodge located in the valley of Copey de Dota heart of Los Santos Forest Reserve, home to Los Quetzales National Park and Cerro Las Vueltas Biological Reserve. The lodge is less than 2 hours from San Jose, in the Cerro de la Muerte region part of the Talamanca mountain range.
At El Toucanet Lodge visitors will enjoy being surrounded by exuberant cloud forest and its centennial oak trees, greens, moss, bromeliads, and over 200 species of birds listed, inclusive the Resplendent Quetzal, to experience within an unspoiled area. Waking up with the sound of the river and the spotted wood quails after a peaceful night sleep makes the visit at the lodge a memorable stay.
6 standard rooms: comfortable spacious rooms with private bath, hot water, Wi-Fi, private terrace, large windows, spectacular forest and farm views. Along walkways to the rooms feel the freshness and green lush vegetation of native gardens.
2 junior suites: very private, with king size bed, Jacuzzi, hot water, Wi-Fi, fireplace, coffee maker, small refrigerator, silverware, plates, also large windows to enjoy the view of rainbows, sunrises, and gardens.
Check in: 2 p.m. Check out: 12 m.d.
- Outdoor wood fired stone hot tub
- Ping pong table
- Mountain views
- Beautiful gardens
- Large terrace
- Sitting area with a fireplace
- The restaurant serves fresh home cooked meals, typical costarican food, fresh baked trout the house specialty, from a neighbor’s trout farm. The meals are prepared with fresh products of the region. Special diets upon request.
- From San José, get on the Interamerican Highway south (route # 2), upon nearing Cartago entrance stay on the Interamerican Highway (right lane) until you reach km. 51, at El Empalme turn right to Santa Maria de Dota, here at the park turn left 7 kilometers to Copey(paved road) here at the soccer field turn right straight to El Toucanet about 1.5 km.
- From southern Costa Rica at km 58 there is a sign indicating to La Cima next a bus stop with the lodge logo, turn here left 8 kms to Copey (gravel road).
- From San Jose take the bus to Santa Maria de Dota from the Musoc bus station (frente a la Clinica Carit). Buses leave about every three hours. Get off in Santa María and at the park take a taxi to El Toucanet Lodge, taxi fare around $12.00.
- From southern Costa Rica take the Musoc bus from San Isidro to San Jose and get off at Macho Gaff (the bus stop here for a coffee pee stop). From further south also get off at Macho Gaff. When you buy your ticket if you call us 2541-3045 we will meet you at Macho Gaff or call us from there and we will pick you up in 20 minutes. Pick up fare to the lodge is $12.00. Map Here
Altitude: 1,950 m.a.s.l.
Coordinates: 9°38’29.67’’N 83°54’04.34’’O
Category: Middle range